Eyelid Surgery Honolulu
The eyes are the central feature of your face. When they look old, your whole face looks old. Sadly, the skin around the eyes is the thinnest skin of the face, so it often ages the most quickly. Sagging of eyebrows, drooping of eyelid skin, and wrinkling around the eyes all age the eyelids. These changes can even affect vision or function of the eyes. Especially in Honolulu, with our high Asian population, who have smaller or no upper eyelid folds, the upper eyelid skin can obstruct the vision at a fairly young age. Having eyelid surgery makes the patient look and feel better!
Evaluation for eyelid surgery starts off with a consultation with Dr. Tantisira. This is necessary to determine the precise eyelid problem and the correct surgery to repair it. The evaluation also helps decide if the surgery is cosmetic, or if there is a functional component, where the eyelid problem is affecting vision or the health of the eyes.
Eyelid surgery is done as a same day procedure, meaning that the patient goes home immediately after surgery. Generally, the surgery takes only an hour or two, and is done under local anesthesia. Before the surgery, patients are asked to stay off all medications that increase the risk of bruising. After surgery, ice packs are applied and the head is kept elevated for two to three days to minimize swelling in the surgical area. Any activity that could increase the risk of bleeding is forbidden, including exercise, bending over and lifting heavy things. No patching is usually needed. If everything proceeds as expected, the patient can return to normal activities about two weeks after surgery.
Types of eyelid surgery performed:
- Upper eyelid blepharoplasty: Removal of excess skin and/or fat from upper eyelids
- Lower eyelid blepharoplasty: Removal of excess skin and/or fat from lower eyelids
- Internal brow pexy: Lifting the outer corner of the brow while doing an upper blepharoplasty without creating any new scars
- Ptosis repair: Reattaching or tightening the muscle that raises the eyelid when it no longer opens properly.
- Ectropion repair: Repair of an eyelid that rolls outwards at the edge, causing chronic irritation
- Entropion repair: Repair of an eyelid that rolls inwards at the edge, causing chronic irritation, and sometimes allows eyelashes to rub the eye
- Brow lift: Raising brows that have fallen lower than normal, affecting looks and/or vision